Training of engineering personnel for automobile enterprises began in the late 1920s. The first engineers-motorists were trained at the Melioration Engineering Faculty of the Central Asian State University (now the National University of Uzbekistan).
Light and heavy vehicle, which began to be produced in Russia in the 1930s, were brought to Uzbekistan. They were obliged to provide technical services, to build auto-enterprises that should be equipped with special equipment, to train engineers in this field. In 1940, the Department “Automobiles” was founded at the Faculty “Energy” of the Central Asian Industrial Institute (CAII).
In 1941, the Moscow Automobile and Road Institute was placed in the city of Yangiyul of Tashkent region and from October of 1941 to October of 1943 it operated here. For two years the department “Automobiles” of the Central Asian Industrial Institute worked in cooperation with the department “Automobile” of the Moscow Automobile and Road Institute as a result of which institute was enriched with new educational methodical materials.
In 1942, the Department “Automobiles” was transferred from the Faculty “Energy” to the Faculty “Mechanics” and c.t.s.., docent А.N. Ninov became the head of the Department (1942-1946 yy). In 1945, for the first time 5 people graduated from the Institute on the specialty “Automobile and automobile industry”. Among the first graduates there were no national cadres.
In 1946, a master of motor transport sports, a participant of the Moscow–Karakum–Moscow Highway, c.t.s., docent N.S. Аbramov was appointed head of department “Automobiles”. Under his leadership, the department “Automobiles” until 1968, at the Faculty “Mechanics”, on the specialty “Automobile and automobile economy” prepared engineers motorists for automobile enterprises of Uzbekistan.
Specialists graduated from the institute under the department “Automobiles” for the training of national qualified teachers in our Republic were sent to Moscow, Kiev and Kharkov Automobile and Road Institutes for training and purposeful training in the field of postgraduate study: А.А. Mutalibov (1948), O.U. Salimov (1950), U.А. Ikramov (1958), O.А. Ganikhojaev (1961), S.M. Kodirov (1963), M.O. Kodirxonov (1964), X.M. Mamatov (1965) and others. In 1968, on the basis of the mechanical Faculty of Tashkent Polytechnic Institute (now Tashkent State Technical University) was founded the Faculty of “Automobile and roads”.
The department “Automobiles” started training in two specialties: “Automobile Production and repair”, “Automobile Maintenance”. From 1968 to 1971, candidate of technical sciences, docent (currently academician) O.U Salimov was the head of the department. In 1971, the department was divided into two separate departments: “Automobiles” and “Automobile maintenance”.
From 1971 to 1984 the Department “Automobiles” was headed by the Honored Transport Worker in Uzbekistan, c.t.s., docent B.M. Grindorf. In 1984-1985 years c.t.s. docent B.S. Sattivaldiev, 1985-1986 years c.t.s. docent B.F. Normukhamedov, in 1992 c.t.s. docent J.R Kulmukhamedov, Honored Mechanic in Uzbekistan c.t.s. docent O.А. Ganikhojaev was head of the department during 1986-1998, during 1998-2004 years c.t.s. docent E.Z. Fayzullaev, in 2004-2020 years d.t.s. prof. A.A. Mukhitdinov.
During the leadership of A.A. Mukhitdinov, the scientific potential of the department was increased, educational and scientific directions were developed. In particular, the first ground was laid for the preparation of Master’s and Bachelor’s specialties in intellectual transport systems. Based on the educational and normative materials of the European grant Erasmus + No. 2017 – 3516/001 – 001 “Intelligent transport systems: a new master’s program based on ICT for Uzbekistan / INTRAS”, a modern material and technical base has been created and formed.
Today the department is divided into two separate departments. The first one is called “Vehicles Engineering” and as the head of the department PhD. U.A. Abdurazzokov. The second one is called “Engineering of transport intelligent systems” and as the head of the department c.t.s., docent Sh.K. Khakimov